In our house, we eat a lot of sweet potatoes, and this is my favorite sweet potato recipe. It takes maybe 10-12 minutes, and it costs very little money (or effort!) When things are tight, this recipe helps my wife and me get some quick, cheap meals in.
- First, wash a large sweet potato and poke holes across its entire surface with a fork (to vent steam).
- Then microwave it for 7-10 minutes (until soft all the way through).
- Remove from microwave and slit it length-wise. Scoop out the flesh of the potato into a bowl, leaving the skin as a shell (you’ll put the meat back in later.)
- Mix the potato flesh with a sprinkle of cheese, crispy bacon (or bits), a splash of milk, pressed garlic (or garlic powder), and sliced/diced jalapeno peppers. Smash it all together and place back inside the potato skin.
- Add cheese on top and microwave it again until warm all the way through and cheese is melted (1-2 minutes, depending on the size of the potato).
- Remove from the microwave and top with whatever you want. Our staples are avocado, sour cream, and black beans. We have also used chili and barbecued chicken.
Lots of times, we end up foregoing the milk and most of the cheese, too, and just smash up some sweet potatoes, add some peppers and spices and throw whatever leftovers we have into the mix as a topping. It’s really versatile, and when people try it, they’re amazed you can do stuff with sweet potatoes to make them savory instead of overly sweet.
Even if you’re not a fan of sweet potatoes (and I wasn’t before this recipe), it’s worth giving a shot and trying. If you love it, you’re welcome. If not, then I’m terribly sorry. But at least you tried!
Feel free to reach out to me! I’d love to hear from you!
Geek Fitness Health Hacks is part of the Geek to Geek Podcast Network. Check out our other podcasts and bask in the awesomeness! (And never miss an update! Sign up for the Geek to Geek Network email list!)
Music by CarboHydroM